I always rack my brain, what should I do with chicken. It’s a main ingredient for our dinners at least a few nights a week. But chicken stir fry just didn’t sound appealing this week.
I deeply thought what to make for dinner, while I walked the aisles at the grocery store. As I was walking by the deli section to check out their appetizers and pasta salads I saw broccoli salad. You know the ones with broccoli, bacon, and raisins. This is always a favorite of mine. I made a mental note to make this soon. But broccoli triggered a reaction in my mind. I now had a meal idea for the chicken!
One Pot Cheesy Chicken Broccoli & Rice
It’s healthy with the broccoli and extra yummy with the cheese.
Perfect! I had everything in the house to make it. I even had some leftover bacon to put on top. Who doesn’t love bacon on everything!
It was very a quick, easy and tasty dinner tonight. The best part, the Toddler Approved One Pot Cheesy Chicken Broccoli & Rice was made in ONE dish. Meaning less dishes to wash. And for any mama less dishes is amazing!
Keeping everything in one dish also reduces the cooking time, saving me from having a screaming toddler because I’m not giving her my undivided attention so I can cook. Who can relate to the toddler meltdowns?
To save time I used frozen broccoli and precooked it in the microwave, but you can use fresh. Just add a few extra minutes to cook and soften the broccoli up. I used the smaller cuts of broccoli so I didn’t have to chop it up even more for my toddler. But feel free to use whatever size broccoli you like best.
Another way to save time is to food prep beforehand. I always buy a big package of chicken and chop it up in the beginning of the week to save time. You can do the same thing with the onions.
I prefer to meal prep while my toddler naps. Meal prepping is so helpful with a toddler around who wants to tug on your pant leg and whine the entire time.
The next thing to deciding if One Pot Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice is a great recipe, is the husband test. When I try a new recipe I always ask my husband the same three questions:
How does it taste?
Is it missing a flavor or seasoning?
Should I make this again and add it to our list of yummy dinners?
When we gave our 18 month old daughter a portion for dinner, she ate it. ALL OF IT! And asked for more. That’s how I know this recipe is a winner and a keeper.
She was so cute. She scratched my husband’s elbow, with her cute little baby fingers, as he was trying to eat his dinner asking for more. When I finally sat down with my plate she kept pointing at my plate and climbed into my lap asking for some Toddler Approved One Pot Cheesy Chicken Broccoli & Rice.
So when your child begs for more you know this recipe will be a stable in the house. This may be my new test to deciding if we make a recipe again. Thanks to JoCooks for the idea.
Here’s your recipe for this comforting cheesy delish one pot meal.
Toddler Approved One Pot
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli & Rice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 chicken breasts cut into small cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup rice (I used Jasmine)
- 10 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups broccoli florets (I used frozen and cooked them in the microwave beforehand)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (I used more because we love cheese)
- Bacon to sprinkle on top
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the cubed chicken. Cook on medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add chopped onion and continue to cook for a few minutes until the chicken is no longer pink on the outside.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in garlic. Cook for another 30 seconds until the garlic gets aromatic.
- Add the rice, cream of chicken soup and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook over medium heat until the rice is fully cooked, stirring occasionally, should take about 15 minutes. (I did not cover while simmering)
- Add the broccoli florets and half the cheese. (If using fresh broccoli cook for a few extra minutes) Stir until the cheese melts.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese.
- Garnish with bacon and serve.